Cascading Discounts allow campaign discount calculations to factor in discounts given on the same session by other campaigns. This means if you have two campaigns running and the first campaign applies a $10 discount on a $100 session total, the second campaign can calculate the discount based on the newly discounted session total of $90 in the same session update.
The order in which campaigns are validated is determined by the application’s campaign Priority. We strongly recommend reviewing how the three Priorities (Exclusive, Stackable, and Universal) work and auditing your campaigns’ Priority prior to enabling Cascading Discounts.
Once enabled, you can make use of cascading discounts by using these three new default attributes:
- Discounted Session Total: the session total after discounts (session or per-item) have been applied
- Discounted Cart Items Total: the total value of all items in the customer’s cart after per-item discounts have been applied
- Discounted Price of Item: the price of an item minus the discounted value from previous campaigns on the session
These attributes may be used in place of Session Total, Cart Items Total, or Price of Item attributes. Note that the Session Total and Cart Items Total are both Session attributes whereas the Price of Item attribute is an Item attribute which must be selected in a Cart Item Filter in order to use in conditions and effects.
Once you are ready to use Cascading Discounts, it’s a simple matter of using the above attributes in discount calculations and minding the Priority of campaigns.
As an example, let’s say you have two campaigns (of Stackable Priority) running, both of which give an item discount on shoes. Campaign 1, a site-wide $10 discount, is of higher Priority than Campaign 2, a coupon for 15% off shoes.
Campaign 1: $10 site-wide discount on all shoes
$10 per-item discount on items with category “shoes”
Campaign 2: 15% coupon discount on the discounted value of shoes
Per-item discount on items with category “shoes,” but using the new Discounted Price of Item in the discount calculation:
You’ll need to arrange or be aware of the following in order to use Cascading Discounts:
- All sessions must contain cart items –– once cascading discounts are enabled, sessions without cart items will never be able to trigger effects
- If a campaign's effects would push the discounted session total or discounted price of a cart item below 0, this campaign will not be applied.
- All campaigns must have an appropriate Priority
- Cascading Discounts have been enabled by Talon.One Support
- If your Cascading Discount use case would require multiple coupons per session, you must be on API V2.0.