In this article we will cover the basics of Campaigns in Talon.One. Campaigns are the framework for your promotions and are the core entity that marketers create in the Talon.One Campaign Manager (UI). Campaigns are defined by a name and a sequence of rules that evaluate conditions and trigger effects.
Depending on your business requirements, your campaigns design can include a variety of elements such as coupons, per item discounts, free items, webhooks, customer attribute updates, referral codes (to name a few!).
Before getting started with creating campaigns, you should have already added an application to your account.
Create a new campaign
Once you have logged into your account, select the preferred application. The Campaign section will be empty until you create your first campaigns. Once created, all your campaigns will appear here and can be filtered by State, Campaign Name, ID, etc.
To create a new campaign:
- Click the + New Campaign in the Application Name Campaigns
- Choose internal name for campaign (mandatory)
- Select Coupons or Referrals
- These are generated automatically if your rule defines coupon or referral codes as an effect
- You can edit criteria later in Settings
- Click Create Campaign
Congratulations! Your campaign is now saved as a Draft. You can finish building your campaign now or come back to it later in the Campaigns section.
Once you create a new campaign, you must define the logic using the Rule Builder. Rules are required before you can activate your campaign.
To build rules for a standard coupon campaign, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Rule Builder tab
- Click Add Rules
- Give your rule a name (e.g., Holiday 10% coupon code)
- Click Add Conditions
- Select "A coupon code is valid" from the drop-down menu
- You can choose from multiple conditions to make the rule more dynamic
- Click Add Effects
- Select "Set discount" from the drop-down
- Edit the formula if required (e.g., add "10" if you want to give a $10 discount)
Learn more about building rules here.
Edit and manage campaigns
You are now in the Dashboard section of your new campaign. For a detailed overview of all your campaign settings, learn how to manage campaigns here.
The Dashboard provides an overview of your campaign's most important information, which can also be accessed from the top navigation. Once you have created a campaign, you should add the necessary information before you activate your campaign. Remember, Rules are required before you activate your campaign.
The yellow help boxes highlight the important steps you should complete before activating your campaign. Click the section you want to update or skip/close the boxes and navigate directly to these sections from your Campaign Dashboard.
Follow these steps to finalize your campaign:
- Define Rules (mandatory):
- Rules are required before you can activate your campaign. The Rule Builder is where you define the logic of your campaign. Learn more about Rules here.
- Add Details:
- Give your campaign a recognizable name, add a description and tags. Naming conventions with clear descriptions are very useful for keeping campaigns organized and easily identifiable. Go to the Settings page to update.
- Set Schedule:
- Define the timeframe in which your campaign will be active. This step is optional, but an expiry date is highly recommended for security reasons. Go to the Settings page to update.
- Set Budget:
- Coupons (optional):
- If your campaign requires coupon codes, go to the Coupons page to create codes or view existing codes. Learn how to add Coupons to a campaign here.
- When you choose "Create Coupon" as an Effect in your rule, you will want to edit the structure of automatically generated coupon codes in Settings.
- Your developers can also generate custom codes using our API.
- Referrals (optional):
- Learn more about Referral Campaigns here. You can view codes in the Referrals section. Unlike Coupons, Referral Codes are created with the API, read our developer documentation for creating Referral Codes here.
- When you choose "Create Referral Code" as an Effect in your rule, you can edit the structure of automatically generated codes in Settings.
- Campaign State:
- Activate your campaign once you have finished adding the necessary elements like Rules and Coupons.
- Before you Activate your campaign, it will appear as "Disabled" or in "Draft" if you don't have any Rules yet
Of course, the order for completing the steps required for a campaign is up to you. You can create a campaign with just a name, save then finalize later. Just remember Rules are required before activating a campaign.
Once you have completed the necessary steps for your campaign, be sure to review and ensure all information is correct. Now you can Activate your campaign!
Archive / Delete Campaign
From the campaign dashboard you can also archive or delete your campaign. You can also perform this action in the settings page of your account.
Next you will want to read: