In this article, you'll learn how to create and test a campaign in Talon.One.
To begin, you need access to an active Talon.One account. Get in touch if you'd like to see a demo and set up a trial account.
To get a full picture of how Talon.One integrates with your online shop or website, you can connect your Talon.One account to our demo online store to see how promotions will appear for your customers.
Follow the steps below to create a basic campaign in Talon.One, then you can test it in the Megastore (the name of our dedicated testing environment).
Step 1: Create a Campaign
- Log into your Talon.One account.
- You'll need to be invited by an Admin user
- Click on your Testing/ Staging Application
- Click +New Campaign and select any features you want (Coupons, Referrals, Loyalty)
- Navigate to the Rule Builder (follow the steps in the video below)
Step 2: Build Campaign Rules
Now you need to set up the logic rules for your campaign in the Rule Builder. Rules in Talon.One consist of Conditions and Effects. Basically, "if a customer does this, then that happens".
Every campaign has to have rules before it can be activated.
To create rules for a basic coupon campaign,
Follow these steps:
- On the Rule Builder page, click +Add Rule
- Give your Rule a name like "10% Off Coupon"
- Click +Add Condition
- Select "Coupon code is valid"
- Optional: Add another condition and choose "Validate an attribute value"
- Search for "Session Total" and choose "is greater than 100 ($,€, £, ¥ etc.)"
- Add more conditions (For example, to restrict the amount of high-value discounts. Read more)
- Click +Add Effect
- Select "Set a discount" (the default is 10%, simply adjust for your use case)
- Click Save in the top right corner
*Note: This is a simple setup for conditions and effects in the Rule Builder. Browse our How-To Guides to learn more about different campaigns in Talon.One, such as dynamic notifications or per product discounts for example.
Step 3: Create Coupons
Now you need to create at least one coupon code to test your campaign. With Talon.One you have the flexibility to create different types of coupon codes and customize your coupon settings in many ways.
Follow these steps to create a Fixed Code:
- Navigate to the Coupons page in the left side menu
- Click +Create Coupons
- Next, Select "One Fixed Code" (default)
- Type your coupon name like "HOLIDAY-PROMO"
- Set a start and/or an expiry date (optional)
- Set to "Unlimited Redemptions" (optional)
- Click Create
Great! Now you've generated a coupon code that you can test in the Megastore demo shop. To learn more about creating batches of coupon codes or uniquely personalized codes for specific customers, read the following articles:
Once you've created your campaign, rules and coupon codes you need to activate your campaign. On the campaign dashboard, simply click the Activate Campaign button in the middle of the page. In the next section, you'll learn how to connect your Talon.One account to the demo environment.
Step 4: Connect to the Megastore
Now it's time to test your campaign and see how Talon.One works.
If the condition(s) in the campaign rules you just created are all true, you'll see what a customer experiences when they enter a valid code. Your own system does not need to be integrated with Talon.One to complete these tests.
To connect your application and test the campaign,
Follow these steps:
- Open up the Megastore: https://megastore.talon.farm/
- Click on Connect your application
- Paste in the API Key from your Talon.One account
- If you don't have an API Key, find out how to generate one here.
- To check if you have an API key already, go to the application homepage of your account and open the Developers tools section, or from the campaigns page in the left side-menu open Settings -> Developer Settings
- Make sure your API key is clearly labelled as a test_key (name of the key) so there is no confusion later on.
- Enter your API Key into the field in the Megastore: Connect your application -> API Key
Congrats, now your application is connected! After you perform actions in the Megastore, you can click the arrow on the right to see the requests and responses that Talon.One sends and receives.
Step 4: Activate & Test Your Campaign
- Once you have a campaign with rules ready, go to your Campaign's Overview page and click "Activate Campaign"
- *If you haven't already, enter your API Key into the field in the Megastore: Connect your application -> API Key
- Add some items to your shopping cart in the Megastore and type in your coupon code and you should see the discount applied if you meet the conditions you set up in the Rule Builder, for example:
- Enter the valid coupon code "HOLIDAY-PROMO"
- Place an item in cart worth over $100
- The discount amount should be shown and applied directly to the Total in the cart
- Click on the Request or Response tab on the right to view the payload (the promotion details)
Now you know how to create a basic coupon campaign in Talon.One and test it in our demo shop. Connecting campaigns with the demo shop is a good way to test the many possibilities available with Talon.One. Remember these are just a few simple examples of what's possible with Talon.One.
To learn more about integrating with Talon.One, please take a look at our Developer Documentation.
Get in touch if you have questions about testing your campaigns or would like to discuss your campaign requirements, we'd love to hear from you!