In this article, you will learn how to create a Cart Item Discount. The use case we will use is the following: If a customer spends 100€, then they will get a 20% discount on any item in the category "shoes".
Instead of giving a general discount on a customer's entire shopping cart, you can filter for specific cart items, by category or SKU and apply discounts to those products.
Step 1: Create a Campaign
First, create a New Campaign in your preferred application. Give your campaign a name and if required, select Coupons, Referrals and Loyalty (these features must be activated if you want to access these settings).
You can also modify this later in Settings.
Step 2: Add Rules
Navigate to the Rule Builder from your Campaign Dashboard. This is where you define the logic of your campaign by adding Conditions and Effects. Click + Add Rule.
Step 3: Filter Cart Items
The first step when building rules for this type of campaign is to Filter Cart Items. The Filter Cart Items feature is located in the top right.
Use these filters to sort the items in your customer's cart (filters will vary depending on your integration and campaign requirements. Now follow these steps to create a cart filter:
- Click Filter Cart Items then select Filter items (by condition)
- Use Item Category (default) or a Custom Attribute you have created like "Shoes". Click on the variable to open the palette search.
- Select the operator "is equal to" or your required operator.
- Type in your input, open the palette to select another variable or select from the drop-down of suggestions (available if you have added Attribute Suggestions).
- You can add multiple filter steps if required.
- Give your Cart Item Filter a name then click save. Choose something recognizable like "Shoes_CartFilters" - you will use this later in your effects.
*Tip: This is just one example of a Cart Item Filter, you can filter your customer cart items by Item, SKU, Quantity or other custom attributes to extend your integration and create more dynamic rules.
Step 4: Add Conditions
You can enter a variety of conditions to add complexity to your product discount.
To add a condition, follow these steps:
- Click Add Condition and choose Select Attribute. The palette will expand so you can search or scroll through the available attributes.
- To set a condition for a minimum order value, choose the attribute "Session Total" then select the operator "is equal to" and then "100".
- The condition Coupon code is valid is only required if coupons are in your campaign.
This is just one example of a condition. Depending on how you filter cart items, you can also create conditions using Cart Item Filters.
Step 5: Add Effects
Define what effects will take place when the conditions you created are evaluated and "true".
Follow these steps to set the effect for your product discount:
- Click Add Effect the select Set a Per Item Discount from the drop down
- Select the Cart Filter you have defined in Step 2 from the drop down
- Enter in the discount amount or percentage you want to apply to this item
- Click the blue + button to add variables to make your formula more dynamic
Now you know how to create a Cart Item Discount in Talon.One.
This is just one basic example of what is possible with your Talon.One integration. Depending on what data points you send, you can build rules to meet your promotion requirements.
Next, you will want to check out: