Typically, you should create Applications for the following use cases:
- Manage campaigns in different currencies.
- Manage campaigns in different time zones.
- Connect to specific environments. For example, one Application for testing purposes, and one for your production environment.
There are two types of Applications:
They help you differentiate between testing and production environments. For example, you can connect a sandbox Application to a mock environment on your end and use it to test rules for your campaigns. Then, you can copy those campaigns into a live Application connected to your actual website or app.
A key difference between sandbox and live Applications happens in the Integration API. By default, sandbox Applications provide you with more detailed information about why a rule failed. Use this to test your campaigns faster. For more information, see the Update customer profile and Update customer session endpoint’s ruleFailureReasons property.
Your contract determines the maximum number of live Applications and of sandbox Applications that you can create. You can find this information in your Plan details, in Account > Overview.
Creating an Application
- In the Apps section, click Create Application.
- In Name, enter a suitable name for your Application. Use a name that everyone in your team can easily understand.
- (Optional) In Description, type some information to help your team understand the purpose of the Application.
- In Currency, select your desired currency in the drop-down menu.
- In Timezone, choose a time zone for your Application. This is the time zone your business operates in and it is important for scheduling campaigns and using time attributes.
- In Code case sensitivity, use the drop-down menu to choose:
- Case insensitive - Uppercase (recommended) for codes to be stored in uppercase and their case not to be evaluated when customers enter the codes.
- Case insensitive - Lowercase for codes to be stored in lowercase and their case not to be evaluated when customers enter the codes.
- Case sensitive for codes to be stored and evaluated exactly as they are sent.
Note: we recommend using Case insensitive options because they prevent code redemption errors when end users type the code name in lowercase or uppercase.
The Case sensitive option can be useful for codes to be harder to guess and therefore more secure.
- In Application type, choose if you want your Application to be a live or a sandbox one.
- Click Create Application.
A notification pops up, indicating that the Application has been created and reminding you to create an API key in the Application settings.
Editing the details of an Application
You can edit your Applications to modify their name, description, currency, time zone and Application type. This affects all the campaigns contained in the Applications that are edited.
- Click the settings icon to the right of the name of the Application that you want to edit, or click Settings > Details in the Application’s left-side menu.
- Edit the required information.
- Click Save Changes.
A notification pops up, indicating that the Application has been updated.
The code case sensitivity can be edited in the Campaign evaluation section.
Deleting an Application
When you delete an application all its information (including campaigns, coupons, customer sessions and referrals) is erased and you cannot recover it. This does not affect your customer profiles.
- Click the Application that you want to delete.
- Click Settings > Delete.
- Click Delete Application.
- In Application Name, type the name of the Application.
Note: you must type the Application name in lowercase.
- Click I understand the consequences, delete this Application.
A notification pops up, indicating that the Application has been deleted.
- Learn about what you can find in the Application dashboard.
- Learn how to create and manage attributes.