The following cases describe the way a referral program can be set up within the rule builder step by step.
- Case 1: Referral code is redeemable by multiple users
- Case 2: Referral code is redeemable by a certain friend
- Case 3: Advocate gets a benefit after the referral code was redeemed by his friend
Case 1: Referral code is redeemable by multiple users
1. Create a "Create referral code" effect within a certain rule :
1.1 if more than one campaign is running in your application, you can choose to which the effect should be applied:
2. Due to the fact, that the codes are automatically generated, you can change their properties in the "Referral Code Generator" section:
3. If the rule is triggered, the integration API will send the referral code within the response body:
4. To handle the input of the generated referral code another rule is necessary. To check the correctness of an entered code, "Referral code is valid" must be set as a condition in this rule.
Case 2: Referral code is redeemable by a certain friend
The first 4 steps correspond to the example above.
5. To limit the usage of a referral code to one user or friend of the advocate, "Redeem referral code" must be selected as an effect in the rule mentioned above:
After the effect is triggered the referral code becomes invalid.
Case 3: Advocate gets a benefit after the referral code was redeemed by his friend
The first 5 steps correspond to the example above.
6.1 Select "Create coupon for the advocate in the current campaign" as an effect in the same rule and select "Advocate" as the recipient:
6.2 If you have a running loyalty-program you can also add loyalty points to the advocates' account by selecting "Add advocate loyalty points":